Friday, October 10, 2008

war certain if no peace

Its been too long since I've posted so, generic update time.

Classes are crazy but awesome. My two generals: Hebrew and Human Evolution are the easiest. The three others all involve quite a bit of reading and writing, which I am fine with. I am really learning how to push myself but I am also still pretty lazy. It's a weird mix, though I try to lean towards the former.

Noteworthy media-related goings on in my life:
  1. The new Of Montreal album, Skeletal Lamping keeps getting better and better. 
  2. Spike Lee's new film, Miracle at St. Anna, though thought provoking, had a few fatal flaws including bad acting, too many unnecessary scenes, and poor time structure. See it though.
  3. I am reading One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest for school and love it. Recommended for anyone who hasn't read it yet.
  4. Experimental animation: one of my new fascinations. My favorite artist at this point is Norman McLaren.
  5. Microsoft Word's "notebook" function has proven addictive. I hold it partially responsible for my recent surge in academic enthusiasm.
Two posts ago I put up part of a document I found explaining a little about the "fair use doctrine" in our copyright laws. I have been interested lately in understanding what about art and other forms of intellectual property is intrinsically ownable. Is my confusion over the principle is similar to the confusion many Native Americans experienced at the concept of "owning the earth" when white settlers first showed up. This is one of the questions I want to develop more fully and eventually produce a polished written piece on. For now I am just using this blog as a sounding board for these ideas and if anyone ever reads it maybe I'll get some feedback.

Finally, here is a short by McLaren that I love. It won him an Oscar in 1952 for Best Documentary because there was no animation category. 
Enjoy:

No comments: